To the top

Page Manager: Webmaster
Last update: 9/11/2012 3:13 PM

Tell a friend about this page
Print version

Microbial Preparations (P… - University of Gothenburg, Sweden Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on

Microbial Preparations (Probiotics) for the Prevention of Clostridium difficile Infection in Adults and Children: An Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis of 6,851 Participants

Journal article
Authors B. C. Johnston
L. Lytvyn
C. K. F. Lo
S. J. Allen
D. L. Wang
H. Szajewska
M. Miller
S. Ehrhardt
J. Sampalis
D. G. Duman
P. Pozzoni
A. Colli
Elisabeth Lönnermark
C. P. Selinger
S. Wong
S. Plummer
M. Hickson
R. Pancheva
S. Hirsch
B. Klarin
J. Z. Goldenberg
L. Wang
L. Mbuagbaw
G. Foster
A. Maw
B. Sadeghirad
L. Thabane
D. Mertz
Published in Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology
Volume 39
Issue 7
Pages 771-781
ISSN 0899-823X
Publication year 2018
Published at Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Infectious Medicine
Pages 771-781
Language en
Keywords antibiotic-associated diarrhea, placebo-controlled trial, double-blind, saccharomyces-boulardii, clinical-trial, efficacy, epidemiology, appropriate, guidelines, diagnosis, Public, Environmental & Occupational Health, Infectious Diseases, rding dn, 1986, archives of internal medicine, v146, p95
Subject categories Community medicine, Infectious Medicine


OBJECTIVE. To determine whether probiotic prophylaxes reduce the odds of Clostridium difficile infection (CDI) in adults and children. DESIGN. Individual participant data (IPD) meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs), adjusting for risk factors. METHODS. We searched 6 databases and 11 grey literature sources from inception to April 2016. We identified 32 RCTs (n=8,713); among them, 18 RCTs provided IPD (n=6,851 participants) comparing probiotic prophylaxis to placebo or no treatment (standard care). One reviewer prepared the IPD, and 2 reviewers extracted data, rated study quality, and graded evidence quality. RESULTS. Probiotics reduced CDI odds in the unadjusted model (n=6,645; odds ratio [OR] 0.37; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.25-0.55) and the adjusted model (n=5,074; OR, 0.35; 95% CI, 0.23-0.55). Using 2 or more antibiotics increased the odds of CDI (OR, 2.20; 95% CI, 1.11-4.37), whereas age, sex, hospitalization status, and high-risk antibiotic exposure did not. Adjusted subgroup analyses suggested that, compared to no probiotics, multispecies probiotics were more beneficial than single-species probiotics, as was using probiotics in clinical settings where the CDI risk is 5%. Of 18 studies, 14 reported adverse events. In 11 of these 14 studies, the adverse events were retained in the adjusted model. Odds for serious adverse events were similar for both groups in the unadjusted analyses (n=4,990; OR, 1.06; 95% CI, 0.89-1.26) and adjusted analyses (n=4,718; OR, 1.06; 95% CI, 0.89-1.28). Missing outcome data for CDI ranged from 0% to 25.8%. Our analyses were robust to a sensitivity analysis for missingness. CONCLUSIONS. Moderate quality (ie, certainty) evidence suggests that probiotic prophylaxis may be a useful and safe CDI prevention strategy, particularly among participants taking 2 or more antibiotics and in hospital settings where the risk of CDI is >= 5%.

Page Manager: Webmaster|Last update: 9/11/2012

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?